Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Baby Shower!

Being pregnant apparently does not stop me from doing a million things. I will do it SLOWER, but the amount of work does not decrease. But that's okay because it leads to awesome things!

This past Saturday, David and I had our baby shower for Baby Lyons. It wasn't anything fancy but it did take some planning and I did get a few decorations for the house.

Whoo, Winnie the Pooh theme!



We went back and forth for a little while on whether to have a shower or not. Since we just moved here, we really didn't have any family and friends that we could invite. We thought about a Google Hangout Party but that would have been a little silly. Luckily, David actually likes his job and gets along with his coworkers so we invited a few of them.

As you saw from the banner, I was going for a Winnie the Pooh theme. First, I love Winnie the Pooh. Second, Winnie the Pooh is gender neutral so if I did get pregnant again, I can reuse the decorations. (Yes, we are cheap.) I went to Party City and picked a few decorations.

This is when I learned not to hang decorations on the stairs.

Although it didn't stop him from trying to get to other decorations.

Table for the food decorated and ready for food.

I put some decorations on the door so people knew where we were.

For food, I cooked a simple Korean dish that non-Korean people friendly and feeds a ton of people for cheap. (Unfortunately, there was so much going on, I did not take any pictures of the food. Bad me.) I made bibimbap. It is a rice dish where you mix meat, a ton of vegetable and pepper paste (to your taste) and eat. It's a bit of a hassle to prepare but totally worth it in the end. David mentioned that his co-workers enjoyed exploring foods so I thought a simple Korean dish would be a great main dish. Others brought side stuff like dip, guacamole and veggie salad. Then for dessert I make a coffee cake with a simple glaze. I got the recipe from Smashed Peas and Carrots. I also had assorted fruit.


The awesome part is that it's made in a crockpot!

I guess it was all a success because I had to get more of some of the vegetables for our weekly meal this week and the coffee cake was gone. Bear in mind that I have a pretty good sized crock pot and I had to double the recipe for the cake to look respectable. And even though there were about 10 people, I wasn't expecting it all to be gone. Apparently some of the guys took huge pieces. That's what you get when you are lazy and have your guests slice the cake.

In the end everyone enjoyed the food and had a good time. We didn't do a traditional shower because men and women were invited. And we weren't really expecting gifts. We got a couple of gift cards which is great, but we didn't stress to have them bring a gift. We also didn't play any of the silly baby games but that's alright. Some played some strategy game and the rest just sat around talking. As long as everyone had fun, that's all that matters.

So now I would like to end this post with the aw moment....


31.5 Weeks!!

Now everyone 'awwwwwwwww'


2 comments: