Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Smash

(from imdb)

I wasn't immediately hooked when I saw the first episode. One of the main reasons was Katharine McPhee. She has a really great voice but I wasn't too keen on her character and her acting. It also took some time for some of the other characters to grow on me. But I had a feeling that the little things would not matter if I kept watching. Also, I saw that Jack Davenport was in the show and I thought, "Steve and Norrington guy is in this show?! He's awesome!" He plays such a great jerk. Anyway, I was right. I LOVE this show now!

Granted I am still not a fan of Karen or Katharine McPhee and the storyline is pretty typical. HOWEVER, at least it's written well and the music is fantastic. I can handle a cookie cutter story as long as it is kept interesting and the characters are memorable. And that's what I think Smash does. You can definitely see a lot of the plot unfolding from a mile away but the characters are engaging and you get pretty invested into their development. I may not have been completely fair with the typical plot, there are some moments where a kink is thrown in and it's pleasant to come across. And, I will say it again, the music is FANTASTIC!

And season 2 has gotten to be pretty drama-filled. And I can't wait to see what happens to Bombshell. Although it's great to see that they are not completely focusing on that. I was kind of curious how they were going to keep going once Bombshell would be on Broadway, but they found a good way to keep that from happening in a pretty realistic way.

I just finished watching the last episode, which wasn't too song heavy, but Ivy has an amazing voice and I love listening to her sing. And the end of the episode wasn't earth shattering or cliffhanger-y, but it only gave you a snippet of what was to come. A very good ending.

This is how Glee should have been in my opinion. Have a great consistent story, stable characters and stop trying to cater so much to the fans. That's what made Glee fall apart so much. Although it seems that Glee is trying to bounce back. We shall see. Smash is still superior.

1 comment:

  1. I have only had time for the first hour of Season 2, ep 1...but I LOVED season 1...can't wait to catch up!

    ReplyDelete