Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pre-Baby Body (Not So Much)

There are a lot of websites/blogs about going back to the pre-baby body. Just perusing Pinterest and reading the descriptions, they usually say, "Lose weight in 6 weeks!" or "How I Lost All My Baby Weight Doing (Insert exercises here)". I was never a fan of dieting and doing a specific exercise to get a specific result for losing weight. I am more about living a healthy lifestyle by eating well and staying active and fit.

So after 7 months, I'm finally going to talk about getting back to being fit. It's still an ongoing process but I want others to know that there shouldn't be any pressure in losing that baby fat and going back to you "pre-baby self". Because, honestly, there is no going back to your pre-baby body...



Your body has permanently changed for the rest of your life. You just subjected your body to the most life changing process ever with separating muscles, stretching and swelling body parts, and more. There is no way your body is going back to what your body was before you were pregnant. But, in this society, there is now this pressure to go back to looking like how you were before baby as quickly as possible, and I don't think it's right. I read in several places that since it took 40 weeks for you body to adapt and change to support your baby, you should give at least that same time to a year to be back to normal. So don't rush it.

Strive to go back to being fit and staying healthy.

During my pregnancy, I gained about 30 pounds which is a normal amount. Even though I knew that it was normal, I still had that small bit of anxiety about going back to my active self and being able to lose the fat. I fell prey to thinking that I have to lose all my weight right away. Not to mention, I worked so hard to be where I was, it was a little disheartening to not do things that I used to do. But then I pushed that thought out of my head and kept telling myself that it would happen as long as I kept eating well and slowly started becoming active again.

The cool thing is your body actually starts shedding that weight for you without having to exercise. First of all, be encouraged that a chunk of the weight you gain will be gone once the baby is out. Aside from the baby itself, all the extra fluids go with it. Secondly, if you decide to breastfeed, your body automatically starts shedding some of the fat. It's not drastic but it happens as long you eat right. You don't have to count calories or anything but make sure the majority of the food you eat is wholesome. Another reason why you shouldn't overdo the exercising at the beginning. Breastfeeding takes a lot of energy and it is suggested that you eat about 500 extra calories a day. While you're pregnant it's 300, so don't skimp on meals!

Right after you give birth, you are discouraged from doing any sort of exercising. Short, easy walks and mild stretching is about all you're able to do. This goes on for AT LEAST 6 weeks. If you have a Cesarean, it's longer. Basically, no working out until your care provider gives you the okay. That time is basically given to your body to recover. And quite honestly, I did not want to do anything. Everything ached and we were adjusting to a new schedule of no sleep. And, if you are breastfeeding, you are busy getting the hang of that. So once I got the okay from the midwife, I was really happy although I couldn't start right away. I wasn't back to normal yet (a few aches and pains still lingered) but it was nice to know that I could start.

The getting back part has been frustrating. I have a really hard time finding the time to work out. Unfortunately, being far away from loved ones has meant that the only ones we could depend on (without spending a ton of money) was each other. Well, David has to work during the week and we are taking care of errands and chores on the weekend. So the only time I have is when Emily is at daycare or napping. And, well, I work so that narrows that time even more. Then add on things I need to take care of without her in the house and my workout time is minuscule. BUT, after being diligent for months and having a consistent schedule, I have taken to doing yoga regularly during her afternoon nap.

If you poked around pregnancy/mom/baby sites and blogs you will have heard about mom/baby yoga. When I read about it I thought it was such an awesome idea. And we actually attended a class before I went back to work. And there it is again. Work. I think if I didn't have to work, we would definitely be doing that all the time. Alas, our schedule doesn't call for that.

There's a lot of things that I could accomplish if I didn't have to work, but money must be made. Haha. Which is ok. I went with the flow and made things work when I could. And I know this has been working because my core has been becoming firmer. It's slow going but it's really encouraging to see results happen.

I have also been eating less, in a good way. When I first started breastfeeding, I was constantly hungry. Almost every time it was time to feed Emily, I would need a snack... And she fed every 2 hours! But now I don't have to snack when she feeds which is a relief. I'm sure I needed the calories but you can't help but feel like a fatty when you're constantly eating. Small victories.

So after saying all that, I'm happy to say that I lost 20 pounds of what I had. But most importantly, I'm getting back to being toned and I'm eating better. Next step is to run regularly even if it is once a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment