Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Avocado Veggie Pita

As most of you know, we majorly cut back on our gluten intake. We'll indulge occasionally, usually on the weekends, but it's usually no breads and such most of the time. But, of course, there will always be exceptions. And this meal is an exception.

The original recipe is called the Florida Avocado Summer Wrap. And I think it's a wonderful meal for lunch. It's light but the avocado gives the yummy fats to help you get full, so when you are finished you don't feel heavy. 

However, I did several tweaks to the ones I make. Instead of a wrap, I put everything into a pita (whole wheat). I'm also not a fan of vinegar so I omitted that in the mix for the tomatoes and onions (the onions are for David, I hate raw onions). I used regular red tomatoes instead of the yellow ones and I added red bell pepper to the pita. Also, hummus because hummus is delicious. Honestly, I think you can put in whatever you want and it will still be delicious. The reason I like the combination I made is because the red bell peppers give a nice kick while the carrots give that snappy sweetness. The tomatoes are just sweet enough to bring out the avocado and the hummus just grounds everything. Man that was technical. Bottom line, I think they balance each other well.

All the pieces you will need

I slice everything up ahead of time for the week and store them in separate tupperware containers. Except for the avocados. Because they go brown (not bad, just brown) quickly, I'll slice one at a time and cut more during the week as needed. Then when it is time to build the pita, I can do an assembly line thing.

I start with spreading a layer of hummus, then carrots, tomatoes, red bell peppes, onions (if you insist on using them) and then the avocado. I throw in a side of kettle chips and it's the perfect lunch.


Let me know how your turns out if you use other vegetables besides the ones I mentioned!

2 comments:

  1. mmmm new ways to use avocado! and I love the preprep! That'll save me a lot of time when heading out in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a huge reason why it's such an awesome lunch meal. Especially if you build it the night before.

      Delete