Thursday, April 25, 2013

Halfway There! (20 weeks)

I'm halfway there! I'll be in my 20th week this week and I think this is a good time for an update of things I've gone through and experienced. Time was really dragging for the weeks leading up to finding out our baby was a girl. I was so eager to find out. But looking back and taking in the whole picture, time flew. I can't believe 20 weeks passed and in another 20 weeks we're going to meet our baby!


It's only going to get bigger from here. My toes are barely peeking out.

Just be warned, this post may get a little detailed.



Luckily, my cold is gone and the usual sinus congestion remains. I was able to semi-sleep through the night for the last couple of nights for the first time in a week and a half which was a relief. Once the weather clears up and becomes warmer, I hope to be able to at least go on walks and continue doing some yoga. Maybe if I feel ambitious I will do a little jogging. We'll see. I was actually on a roll with doing yoga until I got sick and the weather got icky. It was so cold I did not want to change into workout clothes (Yes, I am a baby). So now I gotta get back into it! I need to make sure I don't lose too much flexibility especially in the hip area. Your body will naturally start limbering up and loosening joints and ligaments to prepare you for the big day but it definitely doesn't hurt to help it along.

Most of the awful first trimester symptoms have passed except for a few things that just stay with you the whole pregnancy. I don't feel so fatigued anymore during the day but I still go to bed fairly early. My boobs aren't incredible painful anymore but are still sore. They are continuing to grow after all. And I just don't want to eat certain foods. It's not like I get sick or anything but I just kind of crinkle my nose when I see them or smell them. I have a feeling oats, bell peppers, kimchi, and super garlicky food will be out of my diet until the baby is born. Sadness. At least I still have my fruit.

With hormones flooding my bloodstream, my hair definitely grows a lot quicker so I have to shave more often than I used to. And there is a bit more in some places. It's not like my hair is shooting out all over the place but there is definitely more than the norm.


Recently, I have been getting headaches a little more often. I drink a lot of fluids throughout the day and I know the weather can sometimes cause a headache to come on, but there will be those times when it will just sneak up on me. Usually a cup of coffee will work, but when it gets bad I do take some tylenol and try to limit my intake to 500mg.

Sidebar: A little bit of caffeine a day is okay. So if you are a coffee addict and can't bear to break the habit, don't feel guilty with drinking a cup of coffee a day. A NORMAL CUP which is 6-8 fl oz, not a coffee mug that give you half the pot. As long as your caffeine intake is 200mg or less a day, it won't be detrimental to you or the baby's health.

Other things have been changing as my tummy and boobs grow. The skin around my tummy and back is SUPER itchy. I know it's because my skin is stretching to accommodate the expanding surface area but it gets really itchy. I bought some Palmer's Stretch Mark lotion to help relieve the itchiness. I apply after every shower and every time my skin itches like crazy. It may not keep all stretch marks at bay but it's a great lotion and it feels really good (also smells good).

On a weird note, I have gotten veinier. This one doesn't really affect anything but it really does change how you look. I'm not used to seeing so many blue lines run across my body. Your veins are working with so much more fluid that they will expand a little to keep up with the increasing amount. So the veins that sit closer to the skin become more visible. It was a little creepy when I saw them for the first time. And the slightest work will cause the veins in my hands and arms to expand and pop out. 

Thankfully, I haven't had any serious issues with acne. That is one of the symptoms that happen because your hormones are out of whack. I did have a few pimples form on my face and I have bumps on my chest but it wasn't anything like a breakout. Because of the already dry weather here, I have been keeping my facial regimen pretty minimal and it seems like it's working alright for the pregnancy as well. So there is no reason to change anything as long as it works. And by the second trimester, your hormones have somewhat stabilized so acne hasn't been very worrisome.

Energy-wise I have been feeling better but I still get wiped out when bedtime rolls around. There is no staying up past midnight for me. Granted I do wake up early for work but I'm basically asleep by 10, usually before. And I wake up in the middle of the night now thanks to my squished bladder. Waking up in the middle of the night was not a thing until now. Baby steps to get me used to waking up every 3 hours in a few months.

Now with all this going on, is it worth it? Absolutely.

As time goes on and she continues to grow, she become more and more worth it. I was in awe the first time I saw her as a bean and heard her heartbeat. I was filled with wonder when I felt her flutters for the first time. I was happy to see that she was a girl. I was excited when I saw her movements move my tummy for the first time. And I know these emotions will only get stronger. Worth it.

20 weeks!
David while taking the picture "You should suck it in some more"
Jerk

And to end this great post, we have a registry up on Amazon! It's not complete but if you want to take a look you can. We're trying for a minimalist approach but we'll see how that turns out: http://www.amazon.com/registry/baby/1IZBLM52GXP4K

4 comments:

  1. HAHA David you jerk indeed!! xD Looking good sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edit: He said "You should suck in your gut." Which doesn't make it any better. -.-

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Took that photo after a long walk! =D

      Delete