Thursday, June 12, 2014

Birthday Brunch

This past weekend was my birthday! And as birthday weekends go, this one was pretty good. It included my family, friends, video games and a 5k.

First birthday with my family!


On Saturday, we participated in a 5k called the Cherry Creek Dam Race. Yes, I know that I did a 5k for Mother's Day. No, this is not going to be a thing. Haha. There happened to be a deal for half off for the 5k. We figure for $15 it would be something fun to do on a Saturday. David ran it (It was his first 5k in Colorado!) and I walked it while wearing Emily. It wasn't a particularly large event but it was fun and since pedestrians are not usually allowed on in, it was a not common view. Considering I was carrying an extra 18-20 pounds, I didn't do so bad (58 minutes) and there were a lot of people cheering me on since I was wearing Emily.

Sunday was my actual birthday and we were having a couple of friends coming over. They were bringing their WiiU so we could play the new Mario Kart which I absolutely love. And since people were coming over, I thought a brunch would be nice. I was already planning on making crock pot french toast (yes, you read correctly), I just added 2 more dishes to it, chocolate chip pumpkin bread and a caprese quiche.

Crock Pot French Toast (via SkinnyMs) 

The crock pot french toast came out great! I used bananas instead of apples because, sadly, I am allergic to apples. I was afraid it would be too mushy or eggy on top, but it wasn't. the whole thing was nice and fluffy. If you don't want to be in front of a stove for too long, this is a great alternative.

Caprese Quiche (via 17apart) 

I enjoy quiche, but David isn't really a fan because he doesn't enjoy yellow cheeses. Which means I can't use cheddar and such which a lot of quiches call for. I poked around Pinterest and found a caprese quiche which uses mozzarella. It came out great! It wasn't heavy at all so I felt like I could eat half the pie (but I didn't).


Emily loves pumpkin so I buy pumpkin puree in a can. However, she doesn't eat enough to where it won't go bad. so I take a few tablespoons of pumpkin for her and then I bake with the rest. Resulting in finding recipes to use pumpkin. If you want something extra sweet, this is a great bread. I used mini-chocolate chips so you have more chocolate pieces in your slice.

It was a rainy day but it was good and nothing really went wrong. Emily was in a good mood and Mario Kart 8 is pretty fun.

Nothing like nomming on food while playing video games

No comments:

Post a Comment